Not the most productive of days today.
On the positive side, my new ‘Next Day Delivery’ battery that I ordered four working days ago, finally turned up. So Herman has at last got some decent amperage behind his ignition system. Mind you, even with the new battery installed, the glowplugs were still only getting about 9volts through them when I turned on the ignition. So, sommit’s not quite right there.
What was a real pisser tho’ was that - far from leaping into life when cranked over on the new battery - Herman refused to start. So it was the by now tediously familiar ‘up with the seats, off with the engine cover’ routine again to find out that, once more, the fuel line into the injector pump was full of air and the pump itself as dry as the proverbial nun’s chuff again. So I had to go through the tedious priming process again to get the fecker working.
It’s really weird - once he’s fired up he runs fine and the engine revs great [My Trooper, when it’s had an air-leak in the fuel lines will start OK but refuses to rev at all] and the bubbles in the fuel line clear after about five mins. But, if I leave him standing for a couple of days, it’ll be back to air bubble hell again and the system will need re-bleeding. It looks like a really slow leak, which is going to be an absolute bugger to track down. At least with a big leak, you can spot it fairly easily. I’ll have to leave the detective work to the weekend tho’, as I havenae time during the working week to be crawling round underneath in the muck, checking out fuel lines.
Downhearted by these symptoms of fuel troubles, I turned my attention to one of the other niggling problems; that of the windscreen wipers not working.
An adaptor set had also come in the post today, which would allow the 24mm socket I’d mistakenly bought in 1⁄2” fitting, to fit onto my 3⁄8” socket set. Said 24mm socket being needed to remove the steering wheel to get at the windscreen wiper switch. Under the steering wheel, the switch housings were extremely filthy and a bit dodgy looking, so I separated them out into the main parts and had a hoke round with my circuit tester on the windscreen wiper section - to no avail. There was one lead feeding 12v into the switch assembly, but it didnae seem to be coming through anywhere inside and, with darkness about to fall, I dejectedly decided to call it a day and reassemble the steering column again.
Sigh! -another one for the ‘when I’ve got more time’ department!