Well, after a weekend spent valiantly trying to drown my cold germs in alcohol, I thought I’d better get back to work on Herman today. So it was out with the Hammerite and the brushes again, as once more we endeavoured to get another couple of square feet covered before either rain, darkness or the prospect of a cheese, spam and pepper sauce butty drove us back to the house.
I nipped to B&Q [or ‘Brian and Quincey’s’ as we call it] to get some more Hammerite thinners first, cos the paint has been running really badly as it dries and looking a right mess. I dunno if it’s because the cold weather is keeping the Hammerite wet longer, thus giving it more time to run - or they’ve just ballsed up the recipe [I noticed it said ‘New Rollable Formula’ -or words to that effect– on the tin], but whatever the reason, a lot of the paintwork we’ve done already looks like someone has poured black treacle down the side of the van. So it’ll have to be sanded down a bit and given a second coat.
Anyway, the thinned down Hammerite seems to work a lot better; it dries faster, so does not get time to drip as badly. The down side of course is that it disnae cover as well either, so a second coat will be needed.
With that side completed, apart from a few edges and awkward bits round hinges and locks, I moved onto the prepping the front for painting. I removed Herman’s bumper and number plate and gave his fizzer a good scrub down with sugar soap. While cleaning round the indicators I noticed they looked full of skank, so I undid them and found out that - for the second time in recent history - I was going to be called on to destroy a thriving ecosystem.
How the primitive lifeforms must have run screaming and praying for forgiveness to their orange flashing gods as soapy vengeance was wrought upon them!
Tune in next time for more exciting adventures - which will almost certainly involve soapy water and black Hammerite!