Glad to report that, after sticking Herman’s freshly charged battery back in again this morning, he started first turn of the key. So that was the reason I had no leccy, after all! It does raise the question tho’ as to why an almost new heavy duty battery got drained down to three volts in the space of a couple of weeks? I did notice, when I reconnected the battery, that the light in the cab roof had been left on. So, I s’pose that could have been the culprit - tho’ I’d not have thought it would have drained a 120aH battery in just over a week. Och, I dinnae know. Maybe it would. In a way I hope that was the reason. Otherwise, it must be a dodgy circuit somewhere and I’m going to have to get up to my elbows in cable spaghetti trying to trace who or what is to blame for the battery drain.
Speaking of spaghetti. After I’d established that Herman was a ‘runner’ once more, I decided to temporarily wire the immobiliser back in, to see whether he would start with that plumbed into his innards again. The answer was a resounding ‘No’. Although I had dashboard electrics [at least that was down to the flat battery], there was no juice to the starter. So out came the immobiliser again and I spent a therapeutic hour or so, reconnecting, soldering and heat shrinking all the leads in the ignition circuit that had been butchered by whoever fitted the immobiliser in the first place. I think it may have been Stevie Wonder, judging from the half-arsed way most of the connections were taped up. I was able to solder and heatshrink inside the van, thanks to a spiffing new gadget I bought off a guy on eBay on Friday and which arrived yesterday.
So Herman may not be fitted with an immobiliser any more but at least his wiring has been further restored to its original condition and it looks a helluva lot better than it did before.