Overheads

Today, I decided to do something about the bare plywood ceiling Herman’s cab has had, ever since I ripped out the skanky old headlining material.

I had two big pieces of blue coloured, quite heavy canvas type material that had previously been covering one of those portable partition type thingies which you get in offices and which was in my wood stash for a while - before I realised I’d never use it in Herman and binned it. After getting mazza to sew the two bits of cloth together on her sewing machine, we had a piece big enought to cover the ceiling.

T’would have been a piece of piss of a job, were it not for the fact that [as previously mentioned in the post linked to above] I’d not been able to find a way to remove the plywood ceiling from above the cab, so we could work on it in the open. Thus we had to somehow attach the cloth to it in-situ. Cue about an hour of absolute Keystone Coppery of the first order!

First, I had to paint the bottom of the ‘ceiling’ with some PVA adhesive. You can imagine how much fun that was; the stuff was dripping everywhere, my arms were aching from painting above my head and, by the time I’d painted all the way across, the PVA on the side where I’d started had dried, so I had to go over loads of it again - and needless to say, the more I rushed to get it all coated before the glue dried, the more I splashed, and dripped the feckin’ stuff everywhere!

Anyway, eventually the board was all coated in tacky PVA and it was time to manouevre the cloth into position. Lots more clownish behaviour as me and Mazza wrestled with trying to stick the cloth to the ceiling from underneath, without it wrinkling to buggery, and all the while getting covered in glue and fluff. And of course there were the obligatory moments when a bit you thought was stuck would suddenly peel off and drop on your head.

But we perservered, and things were helped a bit when we got near the edges and could pull the cloth up around the corners of the board and then weigh it down from above, so that at least it was held in place while it dried.

If only you could have seen what a feast of Laurel & Hardy antics were involved in the supposedly simple task of gluing this piece of cloth to a piece of board!

The end result ain’t the prettiest thing in the world, but it looks better than the bare board and, given the amount of hassle such a tiny job cost us, we’re quite pleased with it. I’m still not sure what to do about the gap between the sill over the window and the bottom of the board tho’. It could make for a very tiny storage space, but I dinnae know if I could be arsed with the hassle involved in boxing it in and putting some kind of doors on it.

Meta TAGS: clothupholsteryroof
ORIGINAL PUBLICATION DATE: 06 Aug 2009
AUTHOR: stíobhart matulevicz