Freshly armed with my new stash of wood, I thought I’d strike while the iron was hot and crack on with panelling out Herman’s roof. I’m going to start at the top and work down, as I’ll need to get some welding done on the holes in the floor, before I start boarding over the lower regions.
Anyway, we’d already insulated the inside of the roof with that bargain bucket fibreglass we got a few weeks ago. We’d made into waterproof pillows by wrapping it & taping it up in thick polythene from cut-up garden refuse bags. It was all held in place, temporarily, with lengths of old telephone cable and was sagging everywhere. So the first task was to put some wooden joists up, to hold the insulation in place and to give us something to screw the boards onto.
It wasnae too bad a job, apart from the fact that it’s feckin’ agony having to work with your hands above your head. So after about an hour of drilling and screwing [fnar! Fnar!] my wee shoulders were aching.
Still, once the joists were on, it really made a difference. With all the insulation held in place and a nice row of roof beams, the inside of Herman started looking a bit ‘home-like’ for the first time, since we got him.
After I’d got all the joists in place, I couldnae resist sticking a couple of the hardboard squares up there too, just to get the ball rolling. So the long process of boarding herman out has taken another tentative step forward. When I look at how much is still to do tho’, I sometimes wish I’d gone for a slightly smaller van.