Floor Show

Today, to give my arms a rest from working overhead for hours at a time, I thought I’d set my sights a bit lower and rip up Herman’s carpet and filthy plywood flooring and see what horrors lay beneath.  From having lifted the carpeting and boards at the edges, I already knew he had a couple of hefty holes in his floor, around the wheel arches –a common problem with LTs, apparently– but I’d never seen what the centre of the floor was like.

So I piled up all the rubbish ‘precious things’, inside, towards the back of the van and got to work wrestling the carpet and plywood off the floor at the front.

Herman's floor revealed for the first time
Herman's floor revealed for the first time

I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised; there was a small amount of surface rust here and there but; otherwise, the floor was pretty solid and sturdy looking.  I also really like the corrugated style panelling of the bare floor, which makes him look a bit like a Kübelwagen inside but unfortunately, I dinnae think it would be very comfy -or very warm- as the floor in a camper wagon<

Early LT35 flooring prototype
Early LT35 flooring prototype

Once the stink carpet was out and safely dumped in the nearest wheelie-bin, it was time to measure up for some more substantial flooring.  At last, a use for the large sheets of half inch thick MDF we bought from the timber recycling place

This should be a bit more sturdy than the flimsy plywood that was originally under the carpet
This should be a bit more sturdy than the flimsy plywood that was originally under the carpet

Next, I gave the floor a good scrub out with white spirit, to remove any dirt, or moisture, and then got to work with my old faithful bottle of Vactan rust converter.

White spirit and Vactan.  That's as near as Herman'll ever get to being valetted!
White spirit and Vactan.  That's as near as Herman'll ever get to being valetted!
That should keep the rust at bay, should any moisture seep down through the carpet and MDF, when Mazza inevitably knocks something liquid over on the floor.
That should keep the rust at bay, should any moisture seep down through the carpet and MDF, when Mazza inevitably knocks something liquid over on the floor.

Once the floor was Vactanned up and dry again, I cut to size, some underfloor insulation that came along with our pergo flooring, and laid that down.  Then on with the MDF and the job was a good ‘un!

Underlay cut to size. Forgot to take a pic, after I laid the MDF on top, but I'm sure you can imagine the scene -just picture this, but with wood on top!
Underlay cut to size. Forgot to take a pic, after I laid the MDF on top, but I'm sure you can imagine the scene -just picture this, but with wood on top!
Meta TAGS: floorcarpetmdfvactan
ORIGINAL PUBLICATION DATE: 09 Apr 2010
AUTHOR: stíobhart matulevicz