Well, it never rains but it pours!
Ready to embark on the next round of interior decor, I went off on a mission to the local B&Q for a few bits’n’bobs, this morning. Starting Herman up on the way back I was decidedly ‘undelighted’ to hear his usual tractory rattle replaced by the sound of a million chav-mobiles with fat exhausts. In other words the distinctive racket that tells you your exhaust has either fallen off, or snapped in the middle. When I finally got home and tumbled from the cab, with my ears ringing, I found that the rear section of the exhaust had snapped, right at the join where it connects to the centre pipe.
So, I had to take a couple of hours out from my planned interior work to try and do a bit of a repair job on the exhaust. Out with the welder, the lump hammer and a suitably dimensioned piece of steel, which I battered round an iron bar to form into an appropriately vaguely cylindrical shape and welded along its ‘seam’. This piece of home made tube was then welded onto the stump of the exhaust bracket.
After I’d finished welding up my new Botch-o-Matic© bracket and dodged through the crowds of people, jeering and laughing at my piss-poor welding, I made it back to Herman and, with the addition of liberal amounts of exhaust repair paste, to seal any gaps and the application of a lump hammer to persuade my contrivance onto the snapped off end of the remaining tailpipe section, I was able to get Herman’s exhaust pipe back together again and return to the welcome sounds of Tractor FM.