Today I finally got round to getting rid of that piece of crap steering lock I bought from GSF, which cracked while I was tightening it in place –remember kids “Buy cheap. Buy twice!”
I replaced it with a genuine VW steering lock, which cost about twice as much but, strangely enough didn’t seem to be made of silver gravel held together with snot and didnae split in half while I was fixing it in place.
After removing the old lock, I had to painstakingly chip away from the steering column all the metal putty I’d used to hold it all together and then give the column a good sanding down, ready for the new lock.
That done it was time for the next annoyingly fiddly job, which was getting the key barrel out of the old lock and putting it in the new one. In theory this is as simple as drilling a tiny hole at a certain point on the barrel and poking in something thin like a nail to release the catch that holds the lock in place. In practice it’s much more of a ball-ache: The exact spot where you’re meant to drill isn’t marked on the lock casing, so you’ve got to do a bit of measuring from the end of the barrel and then hoping X marks the spot… which it never does. In the end, I had to practically drill and prise half the casing away until I found the elusive catch which released the lock barrel.
I think this is the new lock, but I cannae be sure from this angle. Maybe it’s just another pic of the crappy old one. Anyway, whatever the case, I did eventually get the barrel out of the old lock, put it in the new one and put the new one back on. Unfortunately, as is often the case, I seem to have forgotten to keep taking photos halfway through the procedure. So you’ll just have to take my word for it.