I bet I made that excruciating pun last time as well! Outside in the freezing cold this morning, armed with the step-ladder and my trusty heat gun, to tackle the vinyl lettering on Herman2, prior to beginning his new paint job.
Either Herman2’s lettering hadnae bedded in as much as that on Herman1, or else my technique has improved over the intervening years because It was not as much of a complete ball-ache as I remember it being last time.
I think where I went wrong then was in being too aggressive with the heat-gun, which just melted the lettering and turned it into a gloopy kind of tar which I then had to painstakingly scrape off with a paint scraper. This time I had better luck with the heat-gun on a medium setting and keeping it about 30-50cm from the lettering. This warmed it up enough to make it peel off fairly easily by hand, without it turning into black napalm.
Notwithstanding my new improved methodology, it was still a long and boring job as Herman2 was liberally adorned with all manner of vinyl lettering, even down to things like instructional text above the door handles. But finally, after an hour or three [and working through a light drizzle for about the last 45mins], I got all the lettering removed.
We’re still not ready to break out the paintbrushes yet, though. I still need to get some acetone and a pan scrubber and scrub off the remnants of the glue the lettering left behind and I’ll also need to clean his roof, before he’s ready to “go green”