Green Dearth

Well, armed with only a wee paintbrush and an affinity for boring repetitive tasks, I started work today on the vast acreages that make up Herman2’s side panels. Cue several hours of sanding, wiping down and painting. Actually, as with the original Herman, I found that, being white, the van needed two coats of paint to cover properly, so the above should probably read ”…cue several hours of sanding, wiping down and painting and painting again…”

First off, I gave my lumpy fibreglass patch from yesterday a quick rub down and then lathered over it with a good gloop of paint, making sure to get plenty round the edges of the rubber window seal too. As I’ve said before, I’m more interested in keeping the rust at bay and keeping the water out, than aiming for anything remotely apporaching a ‘showroom finish’ so, while bodywork purists out there will be throwing their hands up in horror, I’m quite happy with my scruffy patching job. Let’s see the rain try and get in there now!

Lumpy but [hopefully!] effective
Lumpy but [hopefully!] effective

While working, I noticed that the side window rubbers appeared to have been put on upside down. I may be wrong. I dunno much about window fitting, but surely this gap where the two ends of the window rubber meet should be at the bottom to let the water run off, not at the top to let it work its way in? All the more surprising, given that the van was previously converted to a minibus by Devon Conversions, who you’d expect to know their stuff.

Top edge of side window. That cannae be right?
Top edge of side window. That cannae be right?

I also discovered a nasty patch of rust in the corner of the passenger footwell. No doubt related to the fact that this is where the water runs down, when LTs windscreens leak. I gave that a good sanding down too and a going over with Vactan.

Nasty footwell rust
Nasty footwell rust

Next job was spraying over the windows I intend to cover, with the aerosol primer I got yesterday. I did both the side windows on one side and the back door windows. Couldnae do the other side yet as my neighbour was parked beside the van and, as the aerosol was really fine and light, I didnae think he’d take too kindly to me giving his motor a light dusting of white paint. As it was I still managed to slightly whiten the side of Herman2’s roof above the side windows, as the paint just floated up in the air, even when I kept the nozzle aimed downwards. I’ve got to leave the primer to harden for 24 hours, so it’ll be next weekend’s session now, before I can get some paint on the windows and see if it sticks.

Windows primered
Windows primered

By the time I repaired to the pavilion for tea, I’d given the front windscreen surround about three or four coats of paint, to really seal it against the elements and had also managed to lay a couple of coats on the side door and the wee panel between it and the front door. Things are progressing ever-so-slowly, but they are progressing nonetheless.

Getting there!
Getting there!