Well, thanks to the surprise advent of a mini ice-age, I’ve been kept indoors for the past couple of weeks –although we didnae get much in the way of snow round these parts. So poor Herman2’s been languishing outside with one side of him still white.
A couple of days ago, whilst gazing lovingly at the lad, I noticed a big swelling on one of the side windows I had painted over. When I went to investigate, I found the bubble was about the size of an egg and when I popped it with my knife, it was full of water. I then noticed another smaller bubble on another of the side windows and likewise on one of the back door ones. Unfortunately it looks like the spray-on glass primer I bought has turned out to be nearly as shite as the paint-on stuff I bought at first. For it seems like rain has somehow inveigled its way between glass and paint and, having nowhere else to go, bubbled up into “van acne”. So, I fear I may have to revisit the windows again at some stage –if I ever work out what the hell to do to cover them permanently.
Anyway, today when I braved the [still!] winter temperatures to go out and get on with this damned painting, my first job was to scrape off all the paint where it had bubbled up on the windows, sand them down again and re-prime them ready for another futile attempt at painting them. What joy!
That done, It was off with the righthand rear bumper and on with the circumnavigation of Herman. I started off by giving the back doors another coat as, in spite of what I said in my previous post, I think I only managed to get one coat on them last time, before ‘nesh’-ness go the better of me.
Back doors done, off I went down the home straight, the driver’s side of the van. I didnae quite make it to the finish line though, but I did get one coat done nearly all the way down to the driver’s door, before bad light stopped play.