You might as well stop reading now. I’ll never come up with a better punning title than that baby!
Anyway, as that comedy gold suggests, today I embarked on the mighty chore of removing Herman2’s wheelchair lift. In my naiveté, I’d expected this to be a fairly simple affair, involving the removal of a few bolts and then dropping the lift. In essence, this was the case, although the job was made more complicated by the twin facts that the lift looked like it weighed a fecking ton, and also that it was anchored onto the bottom of the van a bit more “thoroughly” than my initial inspection suggested.
Having had a hoke around underneath, I realised that, instead of just being bolted to the chassis at the one side, the lift was actually built into a hefty angle-iron framework that spanned right across the back of the van. Given the size of it all, I thought I’d better err on the side of caution and remove the lift in sections rather than try and drop the fecker out in one go. So I did…
Plans to remove the lifting arm next were thwarted by the fact that I couldnae get in at it properly to disconnect it from the rest of the framework, so I decided to leave it in place. Besides which, I reckoned that, lowered, it would be able to take some of the weight of the framework, when it came time to drop that out.
I also used a pair of axle stands to support the weight of the framework, while I lay underneath unbolting it all and making sure none of my vitals were anywhere near where it would drop, if everything went horribly wrong. Here’s the framework after dropping it onto a seat cushion and pulling the axle stands out from under it.
With the lift framework disconnected from the van at last, there then followed about half an hour’s worth of further dismantling it into as many parts as necessary so I could lift the fecker into the back of the van without giving myself a hernia.