The astute reader will remember that, way back at the end of January, I scored me a load of Rockwool, with which I pledged to begin the mammoth task of insulating Herman, once the cold winter weather eased up a bit.
Well, I am nothing if not a man of my word so today, as we neared the end of July, I decided that it was probably safe to assume the chance of an unexpected blizzard had receded enough for me to begin ‘Operation Insulation’.
It’s a ball-ache really. Not only is it a long and boring job [as I know from doing Herman 1], but the inside of Herman 2 is already quite nicely finished in grey carpeting over most of the interior. Unfortunately, the exploratory probing I’ve done behind the panelling has shown me that there’s no insulation at all. So, neat job as it is, it’s all going to have to come off so I can remove the panels and stick some insulation in behind them.
Having roped in Mazza to help too, we decided to start with the ceiling, as that’s the most fatiguing area to work on, because you’re holding your hands above your head the whole time. No sooner had I ripped the first length of carpet off than I discovered the job was going to be even more of an arse than I’d thought –Instead of being screwed on, the wooden panels were all rivetted. So we had to spend ages on each one, drilling out the rivets, before we could remove the panel.
One good thing we discovered though was that Devon [who’d originally converted Herman 2 to a minibus] had put in plenty of cross-beams to support their ceiling panels. So there was plenty to tuck the insulation behind. I must say though, the joists didn’t exactly look like they were cast from the finest of quality steel –more like rusty oul’ scrap metal. Devon probably never expected them to see the light of day again.