Operation Insulation –Day 2

More ‘working with your hands above your head’ fun today, as we entered the second day of our marathon attempt to get Herman insulated up and sorted out a bit more, before we go to Ireland next month. T’was pretty much a repeat of yesterday’s routine:

  • Peel off carpet to expose panel
  • Drill out eleventy billion rivets and remove panel
  • Fill cavity behind panel with Rockwool
  • Replace panel

The refinement we brought to the procedure was that we used screws to re-attach the panels instead of rivets. Once again I leave putative future owners of my van in my debt.

Roof mid-section panel removed. Ready for Rockwoolling
Roof mid-section panel removed. Ready for Rockwoolling
Mazza screwing the panel back in
Mazza screwing the panel back in
Mazza screwing the panel back in
Mazza screwing the panel back in

By the time terminal boredom and the need to have some din-dins stopped play, we’d got a good section of the roof done.

What’s not been photographically recorded is the fact that, as well as screwing the panels back on, we had to glue the carpet back in position too. We used a big tub of Carpet Tile Adhesive for that. I can’t say we were as neat about it as the Devon lads, when they first panelled him out. But they probably used spray glue, which would have been a lot less messy to work with.

Everything back in place. Not too messy looking [if you squint a bit!]
Everything back in place. Not too messy looking [if you squint a bit!]